College Grants for Women
College Grants for Women - Where to Find the Right One and How to Apply
College grants for women provide excellent opportunities for ladies of all ages to attend a degree course. Modern higher education is nowadays available for both men and women, but even today there are still fewer female graduates than male. As more and more institutions, non-profit organizations, foundations and associations realize the importance of widening the sphere of opportunities available for women, there are more and more grants geared specifically towards women - here are a few tips and ideas about how to apply for financial support.
Providers of Grants for Women Going to College
College grants for women are provided by numerous types of institutions and organizations. There are grants offered by the public sector such as state-based and federal grants and there are many associations, foundations and non-profit organizations that offer grants as well. You can apply for grants with private institutions of higher education such as private women's colleges or coeducational colleges with a focus on women's education, and there are many private corporations that have grant programs as well.
Main Types of College Grants for Women
College grants for women are offered by many different types of organizations and they are very different in terms of goals as well - here are just a few out of the many different types of grants you can apply for as a woman:
- grants geared at a specific age group - most people start college right after high school, but many providers of financial aid have grants available for ladies over 35. There are special grants for those over 40 and for women over 50 as well;
- grants geared toward ethnic groups - women belonging to certain ethnicities such as African-American, Native American or Asian women can also benefit from special grants that will help them cope with the difficulties of financing education;
- grants for women who want to study certain disciplines - engineering, science, technology, law, math, medicine are all areas that are still dominated by men. Many grant providers have recognized the importance of having more women working in those lines of work and they are offering substantial grants for women who want to pursue a career in those fields;
- grants for single mothers;
- grants for women who have been the victim of abuse or battering.
Apply for College Grants Geared towards Women Now!
The grants available are so varied that it is impossible to provide a description of the application process that fits them all. However, all college grants for women have two things in common: all of them have a deadline for the submission of the application and all of them require the applicant to submit documents to prove that she needs the grant indeed - to maximize your chances of getting the financial help you need, make sure you start working on your application ASAP!